Things that taste amazing yet are super-healthy are quite rare. But with chayote, you can have your cake and eat it too! This vegetable is packed with nutrients and disease-fighting antioxidants and it tastes absolutely amazing.
Health Benefits of Chayote
Chayote, or vegetable pear, is a popular ingredient in Mexican, Latin American and Indian dishes, that is growing in popularity worldwide. This veggie has pretty amazing health benefits, and it’s no wonder, considering it’s rich in fiber, antioxidants, vitamins and minerals, including vitamin B1, B2, B6, C, manganese, iron, zinc, copper, potassium, phosphorus and folate.
Some health benefits of chayote include:
- Improves digestion
- Helps lower bad cholesterol (LDL)
- Good for heart health
- Reduces the risk of stroke, cancer and birth defects,
- Improves circulation
- Promotes weight loss
- Has regenerative and anti-aging properties.
As you can see, that is one impressive list of health benefits. This is because chayote is a versatile veggie that is low in calories, so it can help in weight loss; rich in vitamins and minerals, so it boosts the immune system and prevents many diseases; and full of fiber so it prevents constipation, bloating and improves digestion.
As mentioned, this plant is really versatile, so you can use it in many dishes. For example, you can:
- cook chayote soups, which not only taste amazing but can boost your immune system;
- add them to stir-fries and casseroles;
- stuff chayote pears with other veggies, seafood, etc;
- make fruit and veggie salads with them;
Once you try chayote, you’ll see how easy it is to incorporate it into many different dishes. Experiment, improve your health and enjoy!